WHAT IS A CO-OP?
What is a co-operative …. and why you should join this one.
A co-operative is a proper business. It is worth stating again. A co-operative is a proper business.
In launching the3rdimagazine as a co-operative I have been surprised at the ignorance and misunderstanding that surrounds the co-operative business model. So while I generally dislike defining things in terms of what they are not, it is worth dispelling a few myths.
- co-operatives are not charities
- co-operatives are not social enterprises
- co-operatives are not just supermarkets or undertakers
From the outside a co-operative looks like any other business. it is what’s on the inside that makes the difference!
- Co-operatives are OWNED by their members and exist to serve their members.
- The members are the owners, each having an equal say in how the business operates.
- As well as getting the products and services they need members help shape the decisions that the co-operative takes.
- Co-operatives aim to trade profitably – they create abundance!
- Co-operatives share rewards amongst their members rather than rewarding outside investors.
- Co-operatives are not beholden to anybody, whether that is governments, investors or another business.
- Co-operatives collaborate with each other and have a commitment to the community they serve.
- Across the UK co-operatives are owned by 11 million people – and this number is growing!
- There are 4,800 independent co-operatives working in all parts of the economy – from healthcare to wind farms, from football clubs to web design companies.
So I hope that it is now clear why we chose this model for the3rdi magazine limited.
- the3rdi magazine is a co-operative, member owned enterprise
- it exists to serve the community of women
- we collaborate with women across all sectors of the business community
- we are beholden to no-one; content being drawn from the community
- we are independent, inspiring and informative
- membership is the lifeblood: you own the business. Together we develop the programmes to support women leaders, promote issues of women’s confidence and self-esteem and develop positive networking within the community
- we believe that everyone who is involved in a business should have a say in how the business develops and the co-operative business model ensures that everyone has an equal say
- we believe that any abundance that this enterprise creates should not go to anonymous investors but should be shared amongst the members.
So now you know!
The3rdimagazine is an independent co-operative business that I am proud to have founded and that welcomes you as a member.