Join the crowd
If you want to meet and interact with people – then go where other people go.
- If you’re in LinkedIn join groups and participate in them
- Submit your blog to content creators like StumpledUpon
- Look for trending topics in Twitter and popular #hashtags then Tweet relevant (and useful / interesting) information and attach it to the topic or hashtag
- Piggy-back hot news stories with your take on the news or additional useful information
Grab their attention
- Give your Tweets and blogs a catchy headline. Pique the audience’s interest, e.g. three quick and easy social media tricks; why journalists are ignoring your press releases; five ways to drive traffic to your blog
- Be a bit over-the-top. For example:
five things you MUST do this year; my best ever decision in business. But beware – don’t do this too often or you’ll desensitise your audience
Tell them why they are rubbish or have got it wrong, e.g. ten reasons no one visits your site; why social media is a waste of time; the three mistakes every boss makes. Again, use sparingly but once in a while this can work well!
About the Author
Chantal Cooke is an award winning journalist and broadcaster and founder of PASSION for the PLANET http://www.passionforfreshideas.com and PRdemystified www.PRdemystified.com