I have a DREAM. I have many dreams actually, but they all come back to the same thing. To live my life fully, to make conscious and ethical decisions, and to take positive action based on my decisions. This crowd funding project is one of my dreams.
What’s it all about?
The aim is to organise a Permaculture Design Course (full PDC – 80 hours) to be held in the Highlands of Scotland in the summer of 2013 and to invite participants from the UK and some of our neighbouring countries in Europe, namely Spain, Portugal, Ireland and Greece, who are facing huge financial challenges.
When I say invite I use it in the true definition of the word, which is; to ask for the presence or participation of someone and to welcome and encourage people to attend the event. This is different from inviting people to participate in a course, that would then cost them money to attend; money which many people just do not have, no matter how ‘valuable’ the course may be to their lives.
However, the requirement of the invitation is that the participants offer something in return; a commitment to sharing the knowledge gained, within their own countries of residence via involvement in community groups, gardening projects, transition groups and by promoting sustainable and ethical practises, which would have a beneficial impact, on many people’s lives. They would also be encouraged and inspired to share their knowledge with other participants on the course, which gives added meaning to valuing diversity. In short the invitation would be; fully sponsored and funded places for the participants.
This campaign will support a minimum of ten students (and a maximum of fifteen) to attend a Permaculture Design Course and also facilitate the tutor to offer further highly subsidised places, making the course accessible to even more people. Such an educational event, and exchange of cultural as well practical skills, has benefits which are far reaching and create a ripple effect in terms of people care, earth care and equal distribution of the surpluses via the unique gifts everyone has to offer.
The whole ethos of this funding campaign is based on an understanding of a ‘pay it forward’ philosophy, for everyone involved. This is very much in line with the ethics and principles of permaculture.
What is Permaculture?
Permaculture draws from several disciplines including organic farming, agroforestry, integrated farming, sustainable development, and applied ecology. The best known part of the movement has been to assist people to become more self reliant through the design and development of productive and sustainable gardens and farms.
The Permaculture Ethics:
- Take Care of the Earth: Provision for all life systems to continue and multiply. This is the first principle, because without a healthy earth, humans cannot flourish.
- Take Care of the People: Provision for people to access those resources necessary for their existence.
- Share the Surplus: Healthy natural systems use outputs from each element to nourish others. We humans can do the same. By governing our own needs, we can set resources aside to further the above principles.
Having recently moved back to Scotland after many years living in Spain I am in the process of setting up a small and ethical community business organizing training events, catering for them, hosting skill-shares and promoting permaculture via administration and support of teachers and practitioners. Food represents the core of my business, as a central source of nourishment but also a significant part of sacred communities and gatherings. I am also passionate about; holistic health and well-being, creating and valuing educational opportunities, the richness & diversity of cultural exchanges and supporting people to support themselves. Other people are equally equipped to take on this task and my hope is that it will start a trend and the slow and small solution will take on a momentum of its own and effect bigger changes.
How can you get involved?
Take a leap of faith and support this endeavour, which in turn will go on to support communities, the planet, mother earth and future generations. There are many ways to get involved and not all of them include making a financial contribution (but if you can then that would be fantastic)
- Share this campaign amongst your friends, social network contacts, transition movements, permaculture supporters and practitioners, your community or your Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, Irish and British family members, anyone you think would be interested. Shout it from the rooftops.
- Send me a message of support or any ideas you may have about how I can get more exposure for this campaign.
- Do something similar and start a trend. Pay it forward….
- Nominate someone you know who would benefit from a sponsored place on the course (to be considered for possible selection)
Campaign link: http://www.indiegogo.com/interantional-permaculture-design-course?a=714314
Help me keep the momentum going and thank YOU, in advance
“Every gesture is a revolutionary act. ” ~ Fernando Pessoa
Article by Tracey Hay.