The BirdHouse Fund and VDay

Over £5,000 was raised on Thursday 8 th March for the Birdhouse Fund, a Manchester-based charity which supports vulnerable women in Greater Manchester.

12 brave women led a powerful VDay performance of the world renowned Vagina Monologues in a bid to raise awareness and funds for the Birdhouse Fund on International Women’s Day.

Showcased at Manchester’s Birdcage nightclub, the cast featured real, local women telling their own stories of survival and success, as well as those featured in the original monologues and had the audience laughing and crying in equal measures.

Jane Kenyon, co-founder of the Birdhouse Fund, comments: “Yet again, the women of Manchester have rallied around and exceeded my expectations. This amount is almost double what was raised last year and will make such a significant difference to the lives of the women we support.

“Although VDay is now over, the Birdhouse Fund volunteers will continue to drive fundraising efforts and donations to ensure that we are able to provide much-needed help to our most vulnerable women. We would therefore urge anybody with a spare hour or two, or spare pound or two, to support us in whatever way they can.

10% of monies raised at the event will go to Eve Ensler’s VDay charity while the remaining 90% will go direct to Greater Manchester’s vulnerable women.

For further information on the Birdhouse Fund, please visit , follow us on Twitter @BirdhouseFund or like us on Facebook.

The Birdhouse Fund was founded in 2008 by Jane Kenyon and Emma Sumner and is run by women for women. Based in Manchester, the charity supports women who have fallen on hard times
VDay is the brainchild of playwright, activist and Vagina Monologues author, Eve Ensler. To date, Eve and her global VDay charity has raised over $85million in its campaign to stop violence against women and young girls.

Domestic Abuse Facts

One in four women around the world will experience domestic violence during their lifetime.
Only a minority of cases and incidents are reported but the police still receive one call every minute about domestic violence.
In any one year, there are 13 million separate incidents of physical violence or threats of violence against women from partners or former partners in Britain.
Nearly 40% of female murder victims are killed by a violent partner or ex partner.
54% of rapes in Britain are committed by a woman’s current or former partner.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.